Sunday, June 28, 2009

Thoughts on life

Having not blogged for almost a month (life happens), I'll roll up a couple of thoughts into one. The first is:

And Here We Have Idaho

Summer comes slowly and tentatively to Idaho. Last year it snowed on June 4th. This year has been much better, but on Friday we had the craziest storm I've ever seen. Wind, pea-sized hail, and rain in TORRENTS. There was a river running down Napa Drive. The day after, we still had piles of ice in the shade. I was driving home from work and the hail on the car was like GUNSHOTS.

Fortunately, the windshield survived. Unfortunately, my beautiful geranium and garden did not. My poor little radishes, okra, and peas look like they've been through a shredder. And this lovely organic specimen is (was?) my geranium.











The second thought relates to Michael Jackson.

Honestly, I never bought his music. I wasn't into it. And, quite truthfully, he was the most bizarre entertainer on the planet. But I was reading a blog on npr.org about him that attached the video of him singing "Billie Jean" at the Motown 25 celebration. This was the premier of the ever famous Moonwalk. There was NOBODY from my generation that didn't at least attempt to do the Moonwalk.

One of my kids asked me today, "so what's the big deal about Michael Jackson?". I guess I'm kind of glad they didn't get it, because their only memories of him are related to his self destructive behavior. But I also tried to explain how all kinds of people come into our lives, even when we don't really like them or understand them or want them there, and when that person leaves we can't help but miss them a little bit, even if they were kind of weird.

I'll let you pull up the Moonwalking videos yourself on Youtube - but here's a fun little Michael Jackson video - how I like to remember him - when we were all a little more innocent.

No comments:

Post a Comment