Sunday, January 17, 2010

Fly, little birdie, fly!



We got Sariah all moved into her dorm. And, as things go, I was so busy getting it done that I remembered at the last minute that I hadn't taken any pictures! So, these aren't exactly what I wanted to post, but at least I got some record of the event.

Not being able to get into the dorm until 12:00, we went to Burlington Coat Factory and found just the pea coat she's been wanting. (Yes, I know....there's no picture.) Then on to the bookstore in the Student Union Building where we paid an arm and a leg ($440.00!!!) for her textbooks. I could go on and on (and on and on....)about the scam involved with schools charging this much money for used textbooks, but I won't.

Over to the dorm, in a cold rain, only to find out that she didn't have the right Bronco Card to unlock the elevator, so it was back to the Student Union Building to get a new card. Fortunately, all the keys worked and Kent found a rolling hotel-style cart so it only took two trips to get all of her boxes into her room. Thank goodness for Kent! It would have taken 20 trips to get all of her stuff carried in without that cart!



After lunch at Johnny Carino's, it was on to Wal-Mart. Two hours later, after parading around Wal Mart with two carts, we had supplied her with peanut butter, school supplies, and chicken noodle soup (those of you who know Sariah will appreciate the importance of that chicken noodle soup, given that this is a staple in her diet).

We acquired our sturdy rolling cart again and hauled our Wal Mart stash to her room where she proceeded to unpack and settle in.



Her living quarters are very nice, with three roommates and each girl having a separate room. There are two bathrooms, a small washer and dryer, and a shared living space of a living room and a kitchen area.



I only had a small moment of anxiety when we had to leave her in her dorm with none of her roommates there, no car, and nothing to do but unpack. But, it's a 4 hour trip back from Boise and we had to get on the road. Then I remembered, "oh, yes! This is Sariah!" Independent, smart, resourceful, beautiful Sariah.

She'll be just fine.



1 comment:

  1. I wasn't as independent... well, I'm still not - but definitely wasn't when y'all dropped me off at school... resourceful, smart, or beautiful as Sariah. And I survived. Then again... I think when y'all took me to my dorm for the first time and I dropped off my stuff I came back home with y'all that day because I didn't want to stay there. Ha ha. Your children are so different. :)

    ReplyDelete