Thursday, February 4, 2010
Endless Winter
All summer I spend every free moment outside, soaking up the sun, feeling the warmth. I love, love, love walking out of an air conditioned building into the heat. Oh, it feels so good.
I should have been a cat. Or a lizard. Love that warmth.
Around August I start getting that feeling of dread. I know what's coming. While fall is beautiful in Idaho, winter isn't far behind. And, while I don't mind winter during winter,it just lasts so long here. A friend of mine said once that each season is given three months. It's rude and inconsiderate for any season to take more than it's share. In Idaho, winter is a greedy girl, taking much more than it's allotted three months.
Really,I can only take so many gloomy, gray days and so much windy, snowy weather. My spirit starts to wither. I feel like the old brown leaves on the bushes outside my house, covered in ice.
Let's see....this is February, so I figure we've got a good month of winter left, then it's supposed to be spring but Idaho spring is really just more winter. It's cold. It's blustery. It snows. And the snow turns to muddy slush.
So, here I am. Quite frankly, I'm tired of it. I'm tired of the snow. I'm ready for the sun to come out. But winter in Idaho just seems so e...n...d...l...e...s...s.
I'll admit it - I'm whining and complaining and I'm not much fun to be around. I'm trying to find the beauty in it but it's hard to find beauty in day after day where everything is gray - the sky, the ground, the trees, my mood.
I know it will eventually warm up. I just have to be patient. Maybe that's the lesson.....be patient. Live the day. Have hope. I found this video that helped me remember that winter is a time for quiet, for stillness which we all need. And spring and summer will come again. So, if you're like me and are pining away for some warm, sunny weather, I hope this video lifts your spirits. It did mine. At least a little bit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 warm places come to mind that it is time to revisit VERY soon....
ReplyDelete1. zions national park
2. beaufort, south carolina
are you game??
oh how I pine. pining, pining, right along with you. I think I was the one who said the thing about the seasons taking more than their share. boo. i didn't realize how difficult this climate would be for me.
ReplyDeleteI also have hope...that my tulips will blossom before my birthday in june. lots of hope.
ReplyDeleteWow! Exactly my feelings about the winters on Puget Sound. They're what finally drove me to return to the Carolinas permanently. You said it well. Granted, Puget Sound winters are not so cold as those of Idaho but they are oh so long. The chilly gloomy drizzle and overcast often do not relent until after the fourth of July.
ReplyDelete