Thursday, April 29, 2010

Let's Hear It for the Boys



Yes, I have boys in my house.  Two very nice, very handsome, very witty boys (not counting my husband, for whom I look for "man" category placement opportunities rather than reasons to place him in the "boy" category).


Nevertheless, you would have been able to tell that I have boys even if I had not pointed it out. Why?

Well, just a few things. First, there's a half eaten layer cake (with sprinkles) in front of the television.




There's a bicycle under construction in the Family Room......


......right next to the drum set which is used to create some pretty eardrum-shattering, though impressive,  music.



There are large, smelly shoes in front of the door, snubbing their little shoe noses at the nice "shoe shelf" I bought for them to live in. Why sit on a shelf when you can be in the middle of the floor and trip everyone that comes through the front door?



My bed has been hijacked by a teenager wearing a hoodie and a set of headphones,eating pretzels out of the bag while texting on his cell phone and browsing for new "Fail Blog" videos.



And, of course, the floor has become the closet.


I'm probably in the Bad Mom category because I let this stuff happen without very much fussing or stress. You have boys? You're gonna' have half-eaten cakes, bikes in the family room, and clothes on the floor. It's like having a puppy. You're gonna' get chewed up toilet paper rolls. It just comes with the territory.

But, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Because even though I might get some mess and nonchalance about household aesthetics, I also get:

"Mom, I really like your hair. It looks good."

"Mom, do you want me to carry that for you?"

"Here, Mom, let me finish the dishes."

"Mom, you go first."

So, I just smile at the bike, the cake, and the clothes. Just like I smiled at the earthworms and the gifts of wilted dandelions 15 years ago. I don't get upset when I catch them drinking out of the milk container (as long as they're drinking the last of the milk). The noise doesn't bother me. The raucous amusement over bodily functions doesn't offend me.

Because, you know. They're boys. And boys are great.

No comments:

Post a Comment