Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Gratitude - and why I like Easter better than Christmas



1. Peeps. Sugary sweet little treats that should adorn every Easter basket. I can't eat a whole box like I used to (well, I could but it wouldn't be pretty) but I still love them just the same. There's just something about a grainy marshmallow that can't be topped.

2. 60 degree weather on Easter Sunday. In Idaho!! Amazing. I don't think I remember an Easter Sunday in Idaho this pretty, which is why we have......

3. Indoor Easter Egg hunts. Three minutes of absolute, hair-raising chaos caused by very large children running about madly gathering plastic eggs off the top of picture frames, out of the piano bench, under the sofa. Great fun. Dangerous....but fun.

4. Easter music. Better than Christmas music....any day, any time. Who can top "He is Risen" and a rousing rendition of "Christ the Lord is Risen Today" with all of its Alleluias?

5. An easy family get-together. No presents, no snow, no stress. Pork roast tenderloin in the crock pot, garlic roasted potatoes, fresh steamed asparagus, and Mama's Squash Casserole. Perfect. Top it off with lemon pie and go take a nap, knowing that there's no tree or decorations that await attention.

6. Kids that feel the spirit of the day and happily wear ties (and bunny ears) without complaint.



7. Dying Easter eggs. OK - so my kids are old. Kent asked me why in the world I was buying an extra carton of eggs and he got the "what planet did you just drop off of?" look. Of course we dye eggs - age of children notwithstanding. It's tradition. And we had a great time doing it, too.

8. Memories of Easters past - Easter breakfast between church services served by the Lutheran Men. Nobody scrambles an egg like they do. A church full of Easter lilies (I can smell them now) and fresh flowers everywhere. Singing in the choir with my family. Family get-togethers with loved ones who have now passed on.....which leads me to the most important....

9. A knowledge of the resurrection. We have only said temporary goodbyes to those we love that are gone, thanks to the atonement and resurrection provided for us by our Savior, Jesus Christ. I have so much to share with my grandmother - I will hardly know where to start.

3 comments:

  1. I really love Easter, too, and think we should really make a much bigger deal out of it (not necessarily the Easter Bunny) than we do. And you looked fab in your hot pink and foxy shoes, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Although, those foxy shoes just about killed my feet. I bought them last year and wearing them on Sunday reminded me why I never wear them. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmm...what size are you? 6? 6.5? ;)

    ReplyDelete