Friday, May 1, 2009

Sick



No, I do not have the Swine Flu. I have something worse. Maybe just the regular flu - or the giraffe flu - or something. But whatever it is certainly should be reported to the CDC as something nasty, although when I called the doctor to offer myself up for a nasopharyngeal swab he said, "even if it is the Swine Flu what would we do for you?"

Well, how would I know!?!?

He certainly seemed cavalier about the fact that I was getting ready to croak. Oh, well....best to stay out of the news, I guess.

After taking four days off from work and wasting three days of vacation time, I feel marginally improved. I keep waiting for the Relief Society president to show up with loads of compassion and something yummy to eat and then I remember....oh, yeah....I'm the Relief Society president. Bummer.

Today I've been in that limbo zone. Too sick to go to work or really enjoy anything I like to do, but not sick enough to sleep all day. So, I have spent entirely too much time wasting time, engaging in activities such as:

1. Straightening and alphabetically organizing my bedside medicine collection which includes:

a) Tissues
b) Thermometer
c) Tylenol
d) Mucinex
e) Augmentin
f) Vicks VapoRub
g) Hall's Cherry Lozenges
h) Ricola drops
i) Zicam
j) Saline nasal spray

2. Shopping online and buying this book on North Carolina barbecue (like I needed it...):



3. Looking online for ideas of yummy things for Kent to fix me to eat, such as:

Fried okra



Or a nice slice of homemade coconut pie:




4. Reading a book about the Enders Hotel in Soda Springs. (Of all the exotic, beautiful, amazing places to read about and I settle for a book about Soda Springs, Idaho).

5. Spending entirely too much time on Facebook.

6. Staring into the pantry and refrigerator.

7. Lying in bed, staring at the ceiling, and wondering how many e-mails I have at work now that will need to be answered on Monday.

8. Constantly reminding everyone who gets within six feet of me to stop breathing and wash their hands with Clorox. This has worked so far. I'm the only one that's sick (knock on wood...).

It is true that nurses make the worst patients. I am living (barely) testament of that. Hopefully, tomorrow will see continued improvement. I hope so. I'm out of things to do.

2 comments:

  1. If you spent so much time alphabetizing the medicine, why is it NOT alpahbetized on this post? As for the Relief Society showing up with delicious food, I thought we were so much more than 'just a casserole'. NOW I FEEL GENUINELY GUILTY. I was whining about guacamole and you need fried okra. I have fallen down a few notches on the ladder of friendship. So Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised but you are quite a creative, entertaining writer. Wow, you're the Relief Society President. I GUESS my testimony will stay intact. . . just kidding!
    I enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing!
    Seth

    ReplyDelete