Now that the key people in Katie and Matt's life have heard the announcement, I can blog about being a Grandma-to-be.
First, let me say that when people say "Congratulations! You're going to be a Grandma!" I start looking around to see who they're talking to. Could I possible be old enough to be the recipient of that message? Apparently so. As with all things in life, nothing ever comes your way when you feel you're ready for it.
That being said, and no offense to any other grandmothers, but I'm going to be the best grandmother EVER. How could I not be? I had the best examples - my two grandmothers and my own Mom. Let me share what they taught me that I think is important about being a grandmother.
Grandmama Stan taught me to save old toys because grandkids are suckers for old toys - especially when they come down out of the attic. She was also the master at knowing all the details of our lives. I couldn't believe it when, as a young adult, I found out that she was writing my work schedule down on her calendar. Tradition is important. And, she taught me to share wisdom with little ones - even when they don't want to hear it.
Grandmama Hezzie taught me to be young and happy. She was my best friend. I probably drove her crazy by going to her house every single day, but she never let on. She always acted happy to see me. She taught me to teach your grandkids what you know. Take your shoes off and wade in the river. Eat figs right off the fig tree on your way back from the river. Lie on the grass every day to get a daily dose of Vitamin E.Love your grandkids for who they are - thick glasses, frizzy hair, braces, and all.
And my own Mom taught me to just let go of all the rules you had for your own kids and relax a little. It's OK if your grandchild sits on the counter while you're making dinner or wants to eat all the sugar birthday letters off the cake at once. I couldn't believe the first time she let one of my kids sit on the table. Wow, we never got away with that!! Read, read, read to them - making all the voices and sound effects. And send a book for every birthday and Christmas present.
I don't know how I'll live up to such great examples, but I'm sure excited to try. And if I can wrap my Grandmas and my mom up into one Grandma package I truly am going to be the best Grandma ever. I can't wait to get started.
you'll be a fabulous grandmother. will they call you grandma or nana or lizzie or some other term of affection? my friends grandmother went by "honey"
ReplyDeleteit's all so exciting.