Saturday, February 20, 2010

I've got the music in me

 



As a product of the 70's, I'm a fan of Styx, Boston, and on days where the Rocker Mom (as my son calls me) is feeling mellow, I enjoy a little Barry Manilow, Carpenters, England Dan and John Ford Coley, etc.

...what if I find myself in the Metamucil aisle?...

Which is why I was surprised this evening to find that, as I was driving down the road listening to KGTM (Good Times, Great Music Oldies Station) I was irritated by the music. It was making me anxious and annoyed. I didn't want to listen to it.

So, I dialed on over to KBYI where they were featuring songs by Tony Bennett. Ah......that's better. It reminded me of my grandmother who always had her radio on and tuned to the Easy Listening station in Savannah (who, by the way, loved Percy Faith and his orchestra).

I wasn't sure how to feel about turning off "my" music because it was bothering me and listening to my grandmother's music because it was, well, just less bothersome. Does this mean I'm getting old?

I'm having a little Chronological Crisis here. I'll be a grandmother in about a month. Does that mean that some chemical change has started to happen in my brain that I want to listen to my grandmother's music?

What if the chemical change gets out of hand and I start wearing sensible shoes and support hose? What if I find myself in the Metamucil aisle? Do they still sell Geritol? And why am I asking!?!?

I suppose I'm over-reacting a little. (Just a little.) Perhaps I just needed to get away from it all for just a moment and go back to a friendlier place where my grandmother was sitting at her kitchen table, building her floral arrangements, and listening to Percy Faith. Now that is a sweet memory.

However, I'll be sure to let you know if my hearing starts to go.

1 comment:

  1. You are so funny! I had a good laugh at this. You are turning into a grandma :) WHICH, I think is a great change. :) You will be the best grandma ever!

    ReplyDelete