Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Peace out, dude

In my travels down I-15 to Salt Lake City today,  while trying to avoid getting run down by a whole host of Utah drivers going 20 miles over the speed limit, I saw the most awesome thing ever. This car (picture it with less paint and more rust):


....being driven by a guy who looked like he walked right out of 1966. Riding with the window down, he had long scraggly hair, a beard, and a somewhat unfocused (stoned?) Woodstock look about him.

It was a Back to the Future moment and I actually laughed out loud.

Other Utah driving observations:

1. Utah drivers LOVE to change lanes. Just 'cause.....no real reason for it other than they can.

2. Caution should be exercised while entering the four lane US 89, because there is no merge lane. I found this out in a heart stopping, teeth clenching moment, as I merged onto the highway only to find that I was not, as I thought, in a merge lane (like a REAL highway) but rather in the outside lane....with a semi truck barrelling down on me. Don't ever let anyone tell you that a Ford Taurus can't get up and go, because when I said "GO, CAR, GO!!" as I floored it, that trusty little Grandma car said OK!! And I was 0 to 70 in 2.4 seconds. Seriously.

3. While I understand the concept of a carpool lane, the sign that screams "DON'T CROSS OVER THE DOUBLE WHITE LINE" (into the car pool lane) really just makes me want to cross over the double white line - just to see whether or not the world would stop spinning around or if I would be suddenly surrounded by 5 Highway Patrolmen salivating over the idea of citing me for breaking the white line rule. Really, what is the reason why people can't merge in and out of the carpool lane at will?

People have tried to point out that I have become a Utah driver, given that I have a Utah license plate but I always counter with the fact that the South Carolina Palmetto tree and moon on my back window trumps any license plate.

 .

No comments:

Post a Comment