Sunday, November 29, 2009

Now we can have Christmas



In spite of the retail world trying to force Christmas upon me prior to Thanksgiving - nay, prior to Halloween! - I have resisted any semblance of Christmas in the Later home until after Thanksgiving. I get a little angry, actually, at this mass onslaught of Christmas before we even start thinking about what to make for Thanksgiving dinner. It's almost as if Thanksgiving isn't important anymore. But, the rule is the same now as it has always been in our home. We do not do Christmas until AFTER Thanksgiving. Period.

When the children were small, I would compromise and put up the Christmas tree on Thanskgiving night. But now that they're older I can hold off until the day after Thanksgiving. They're making progress.

So, now that the turkey is eaten and the leftovers are nearly gone we can have Christmas.

The tree is up, I'm experimenting with what kind of cookies will be suitable to give away to friends and neighbors, and the Christmas CD's are stacked by the CD player. This is a necessity since I can only take so much of KLCE's idea of Christmas music - Jewel singing "Silent Night" and let's hear "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" ONE MORE TIME!! As Joshua says, "That's not Christmas music! Where are my trumpets?"

While I also rebel against Black Friday - another conspiracy to try to make us believe that buying stuff (junk?) is the most important thing about the holiday, especially if we get it for a "deal" - I have been doing a little Christmas shopping. Online. In my pajamas. Sipping hot chocolate. My idea of a perfect shopping trip.

On that note, let me say that I am so impressed and amazed by people who have their Christmas shopping done by July. I tried it once and by the Christmas season had forgotten what I bought for everyone and ended up buying all over again, only to find post factum that I had already purchased gifts for that person. So, I wait until after Thanksgiving to start shopping. I'm more in the spirit of the thing and I work best under pressure.

So, while I still feel that I've entered a time warp (wasn't I just sitting on the Green Belt watching fireworks!?!?) I am completely ready for the season. I'm working on neighbor gifts and am, as always, getting a kick out of our cats who seem to think that the Christmas tree is there just for them. They love sleeping underneath it. We are hunkered inside in the warm, lit house while outside it's cold and, often, blustery. I'm savoring the wonderful smells of Christmas - cookies, cinnamon, cloves and the sweet sounds of Christmas - Christmas hymns at church and Handel's Messiah.

The only thing that would make it better would be to have everyone close by - Mama, Daddy, Rudy and family. So, here's my "Grown-Up Christmas List". I choose to believe in Santa Claus so, dream big right?

1. Perfect Christmas cookies to give away. No burnt edges, no soggy middles.
2. Snow on Christmas Eve.
3. Poinsettias all over the chapel the Sunday before Christmas.
4. An Aunt Kay hug.
5. A bag full of shelled pecans right out of the yard (thanks to Mom, this can be checked off the list!).
6. Quiet moments gazing at my Christmas tree lights. (One of my favorite Christmas memories in sitting on my Daddy's lap when I was really little, listening to Christmas music, and admiring the lights on our Christmas tree.)
7. Health and full recovery for Daddy.
8. Happy children.

Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. good girl. and my little one? obsessed with the polar express, book and movie. obsessed I tell you.

    ReplyDelete